Sausage, Mushroom and Pepper Jack Strata – Meritage Meadows Inn
This dish is made ahead and is easy to slip in the oven for breakfast for company.
Ingredients – serves 6 in 8”x8” pan. Double to 9”x13” pan.
• 8 – 10 slices supermarket French bread (1/2-inch thick) or Italian bread (6 – 7 ounces)
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
• 8 ounces bulk breakfast sausage, crumbled
• 3 medium shallots , minced (about 1/3 cup)
• 8 ounces white button mushrooms , cleaned and quartered
• ½ cup medium-dry white wine , such as Sauvignon Blanc
• 6 ounces Pepper Jack cheese , grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
• 6 large eggs
• 1 ¾ cups half-and-half
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 225 degrees. Arrange bread in
single layer on large baking sheet and bake until dry and crisp, about 40 minutes, turning
slices over halfway through drying time. (Alternatively, leave slices out overnight to dry.)
When cooled, butter slices on one side with 2 tablespoons butter; set aside.
2. Fry sausage in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, breaking sausage apart with
wooden spoon, until sausage has lost raw color and begins to brown, about 4 minutes;
add shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and translucent, about 1 minute
longer. Add mushrooms to skillet, and cook until mushrooms no longer release liquid,
about 6 minutes; transfer mixture to medium bowl and season to taste with salt and
pepper. Add wine to skillet, increase heat to medium-high, and simmer until reduced to
1/4 cup, 2 to 3 minutes; set aside.
3. Butter 8-inch square baking dish with remaining 1 tablespoon butter; arrange half the
buttered bread slices, buttered-side up, in single layer in dish. Sprinkle half of sausage
mixture, then 1/2 cup grated cheese evenly over bread slices. Arrange remaining bread
slices in single layer over cheese; sprinkle remaining sausage mixture and another 1/2
cup cheese evenly over bread. Whisk eggs and parsley in medium bowl until combined;
whisk in reduced wine, half-and-half, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Pour egg
mixture evenly over bread layers; cover surface flush with plastic wrap, weigh down (see
note, above), and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
4. Remove dish from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature 10-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Uncover
strata and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese evenly over surface; bake until both edges
and center are puffed and edges have pulled away slightly from sides of dish, 50 to 55
minutes, slightly more for doubled recipe. Cool on wire rack 5 minutes; serve.